Broccoli & Cauliflower Cottage Cheese Bake
Cottage Cheese Broccoli & Cauliflower Bake.
Ingredients shown:
- mixed broccoli and cauliflower — fresh or frozen (about 2½–3 cups)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- grated Parmesan
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
Instructions
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Partially cook the vegetables first. Steam/microwave the broccoli and cauliflower until just barely tender, not mushy. If using frozen, drain them really well afterward. We do not want Cottage Cheese Vegetable Soup. (To steam in the microwave, put the fresh veggies in a bowl, add a touch of water, cover with a paper towel and cook for 2 1/2 minutes, careful it will be steaming hot! Drain the water.)
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup cottage cheese + 1 egg + Parmesan and your seasonings.
- Fold in the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Put everything into a lightly greased small baking dish — an 8×8-ish dish would be about right.
- If you want a cheesy top, sprinkle a little mozzarella over it. (I didn't do this, just added more Parm. cheese when I plated it.)
- Bake about 25–30 minutes, until the center is set and the edges are bubbling.
- Let it sit about 5 minutes before scooping it out.
In this recipe, you’ve got vegetables, egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan giving you a nice combination of protein and fiber with relatively little carbohydrate. And unlike plain steamed vegetables, this has some substance and chew to it.
I’d be tempted to add chopped cooked chicken and turn this sucker into an actual supper. 👀
Some additional notes:
Do NOT steam them in the microwave until they’re the texture you’d want to eat. They’re getting another 25–30 minutes in the oven, so we’re just giving them a head start.
I like to be able to taste the veggie, so I don't mince them, I leave them in nice size chunks.
This has made me think of the possibilities!
I’m already considering zucchini + mushroom + spinach, green bean + cauliflower, fennel + zucchini + spinach, or even chicken + broccoli + cauliflower when I want a more substantial complete meal.
Comments
Post a Comment