Why Am I Still Hungry

Why Am I Still Hungry?


When a “healthy” meal doesn’t actually satisfy me


I have a complaint. I ate the vegetables, lots of them. There was asparagus. There were green beans. There may have been cauliflower involved.


I behaved beautifully and yet, not long afterward, there I was thinking:


I’m still hungry.


Excuse me? I just ate enough vegetables to stock a small farmers market. This has happened to me more than once since I started paying closer attention to what I eat.


And it’s taught me something important:


A meal can be healthy without being satisfying.


Those aren’t necessarily the same thing.


The Giant Bowl of Vegetables Problem


Vegetables are wonderful. They provide fiber, vitamins, minerals and volume, and I’m deliberately eating more of them. But I’ve learned that simply making a meal enormous by adding vegetables doesn’t necessarily make it a complete meal.


If most of my plate is low-calorie vegetables with only a tiny amount of protein or fat, my stomach may be physically occupied for a while... but apparently my stomach has management.


And management eventually calls.


“Yes, hello. We have reviewed your vegetable submission. Where is the rest of lunch?”


Fair question.


Protein Matters


One of the first things I now look for in a meal is protein.


Chicken.

Eggs.

Fish.

Beans.

Cottage cheese.

Greek yogurt.

Other foods that give the meal some staying power.


I’ve noticed a big difference between eating vegetables with a few token bites of chicken and eating a meal that contains a real serving of protein.


The first can leave me wandering toward the refrigerator.


The second is much more likely to make me think:


Okay. I’m done.


That’s what I’m looking for.


Not stuffed.


Not miserable.


Just satisfied.


Fiber Helps Too


Fiber is another part of the equation.


Vegetables, beans, berries and other whole plant foods can provide fiber, which helps with fullness and has other health benefits.


This is one reason I’ve become particularly interested in beans. Yes, beans contain carbohydrates. They also bring fiber and protein to the party. Beans are complicated little creatures.


Bean: “Am I a carb?”


Me: “Yes.”


Bean: “Am I also protein and fiber?”


Me: “Also yes.”


Bean: “Excellent. I contain multitudes.”


Settle down, Bean.


Fat Isn’t Automatically the Villain Either


For years, “healthy eating” was often presented as removing as much fat as possible, but some fat in a meal can contribute to satisfaction, too. That doesn’t mean I need to pour half a bottle of olive oil over my salad and declare it heart healthy.


Nice try.


It means foods such as nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil and other unsaturated-fat sources can have a place in a balanced meal. The amount still matters.


Apparently this entire nutrition adventure keeps coming back to that annoying word:


balance.


I was hoping for something more exciting.


Then There’s Texture


This one surprised me. I started noticing that some meals didn’t satisfy me even when there seemed to be enough food.


Soup is a good example.


I can eat a bowl containing perfectly nutritious ingredients and still feel as though I haven’t really eaten.


Then I started paying attention to meals that did satisfy me. There was a pattern. I like to chew my foodI like pieces of chicken. Green beans. Celery in chicken salad.

Vegetables that still have some structure. A little crunch. Something my mouth actually has to participate in.


Apparently my stomach isn’t the only department involved in deciding whether lunch occurred.


Mouth: “I was barely consulted.”


Stomach: “She’s got a point.”


This doesn’t mean everyone needs crunchy food to feel satisfied. But it taught me something important:


Satisfaction is personal.


Fullness and Satisfaction Aren’t Quite the Same


This may be the biggest thing I’ve learned. I can have food physically sitting in my stomach and still want something else. Sometimes that’s genuine hunger. Sometimes the meal was missing protein, fiber, fat or enough overall food. And sometimes I’m not hungry at all.


Sometimes I simply want to eat. That distinction has been fascinating.


I’ve caught myself standing in the kitchen thinking:


Am I actually hungry, or do I just want to chew something?


Those are two very different questions. And I’m getting better at recognizing the answer. Not perfectly. This is real life, not a yogurt commercial.


But I’m noticing.

What I’m Trying Now


Instead of asking only:

“Is this meal healthy?”


I’m trying to ask:

“Is this meal likely to satisfy me?”


For me, that usually means looking for several things:


Protein + vegetables/fiber + a reasonable amount of healthy fat + food I actually enjoy eating.


There may be carbohydrates in there, too. We’re not conducting a carbohydrate exorcism. We’re building a meal.


So chicken with green beans, mushrooms and a little Parmesan may work better for me than a gigantic bowl of plain vegetables.


Chicken salad with celery and walnuts may satisfy me more than something soft and soupy.


Cottage cheese with strawberries and a few nuts may hold me better than fruit alone.


None of those meals wins a prize for being the Most Virtuous Meal in America.


They simply work better for me.


I’m Trying to Stop Winning at Dieting


I think this is where I’ve gone wrong before. Sometimes I would choose the option that seemed the most “diet.” Less food. Less fat. Fewer calories. More vegetables.


Then I’d be hungry again. And once I’m genuinely hungry, the decisions get harder.


So what did I accomplish?


I’m starting to think the better meal isn’t necessarily the one that looks most impressive on a diet chart.


It’s the one that nourishes me, supports my health goals and lets me comfortably walk away from the kitchen afterward.


That’s a very different definition of success.

The Question I’m Learning to Ask I’m still paying attention to portions. I’m still working on my blood sugar. I’m still trying to eat more vegetables, get enough protein and make choices that support my blood pressure and cholesterol.


But I’m adding another question:


Was I satisfied? Because if I’m hungry again twenty minutes after lunch, that’s information. It doesn’t mean I failed. It means something about that meal didn’t work particularly well for me, so I can learn from it.


Add more protein next time. Include some healthy fat. Try a different texture.

Make sure I actually ate enough.


And occasionally acknowledge that I wasn’t hungry at all.


I just wanted to chew something.


Stomach: “Don’t drag me into this. I didn’t request anything.”


Mouth: “It was me.”


Mystery solved.

Comments

Popular Posts