Beans, Beans, the blood sugar friendly fruit... wait, what?

Beans, Beans, the Blood-Sugar-Friendly Fruit… Wait, What? 😂


Let’s discuss beans, because beans and I have had to renegotiate our relationship. When I started paying closer attention to carbohydrates and blood sugar, I assumed foods would fall into two nice, convenient categories:


Good guys. Bad guys.


Then beans showed up.

I looked at the nutrition label.


Carbohydrates?! Excuse me?


I thought you people were healthy. Why are there carbs in here? This required an investigation.


Yes, Beans Have Carbohydrates They do.


Chickpeas have carbs.

Black beans have carbs.

Pinto beans have carbs.

Butter beans have carbs.

Apparently the entire Bean Department has been keeping secrets.


But here’s what I didn’t understand at first:


The total carbohydrate number isn’t the whole story.


Beans also contain something I’ve become increasingly interested in:


Fiber.


And unlike many highly refined carbohydrate foods, beans also provide proteinSo beans aren’t nutritionally equivalent to eating the same number of carbohydrate grams from something like candy, white bread, or a sugary drink.


The complete package matters.


Fiber Changes the Conversation


Fiber is a type of carbohydrate, but our bodies don’t digest it the same way they digest many other carbohydrates. Foods rich in fiber generally take longer to digest, which can help produce a slower rise in blood sugar. And beans can contain a respectable amount of fiber.


So now when I read a bean label, I don’t just glare suspiciously at the total carbohydrate number.


I look at the whole thing.


How much fiber?

How much protein?

What is the serving size?


Suddenly the bean has an opportunity to present its defense.


And Then There’s Protein


This is another reason beans have earned a place in my kitchen. I’m learning that meals tend to satisfy me better when they contain protein. Beans bring some of their own.


Are they always going to replace chicken, fish, eggs, or other protein sources in my meals?


No.


But they can contribute. This is one reason I like combining beans with chicken and vegetables. Now I’ve got protein from the chicken, additional protein and fiber from the beans, and more fiber and volume from the vegetables.


Everybody has a job. It’s basically a tiny dinner corporation, hopefully with fewer meetings.


But Healthy Does Not Mean Unlimited


Here is where I have to ruin the party. If a food is nutritious, I have a tendency to think:


Wonderful! Bring me the industrial-sized bowl!


Unfortunately, that’s not quite how this works. Beans still contain carbohydrates. If I eat three cups of beans because beans are “healthy,” my body doesn’t say:


Oh, don’t worry about those carbohydrates. She had good intentions.


Portions still matter.


For many canned beans, a serving listed on the label is around ½ cup, although nutrition and serving sizes vary by brand and type. And I’ve discovered that half a cup is actually plenty when beans are part of a bigger meal.


They don’t have to take over the plate.


My Realistic Bean Portion


I’m not interested in meals where I carefully place seven beans on a plate with tweezers. That’s not dinner.


For me, the goal is to use beans as part of the meal rather than automatically making them the entire meal.


A realistic plate or bowl might contain:


About ½ cup of beans + chicken or another protein + plenty of non-starchy vegetables.


That gives me the beans I enjoy without accidentally turning dinner into the International Butter Bean Festival.


And sometimes I may eat a little more or a little less. I’m learning to look at the entire meal rather than treating one exact measurement as a law handed down from the Bean Authorities.


Canned Beans Are Absolutely Allowed in My Kitchen


I am also not soaking dried beans overnight every time I want beans.


Could I?

Certainly.


Will I?

Let’s not get carried away.


Canned beans are convenient, and convenience matters when I’m trying to make changes I can actually maintain.


I look for lower-sodium or no-salt-added varieties when they’re available. And unless the recipe needs the canned liquid, I can drain and rinse the beans.


Open can.

Drain.

Rinse.

Proceed with dinner.


Nobody had to begin preparations yesterday.


I consider this a victory.


Butter Beans Have Become a Particular Favorite


Butter beans deserve their own mention because I have discovered that I really like them. They’re substantial. They give me something to chew. They work beautifully with chicken and vegetables. And they helped teach me something important about eating better:


I don’t have to eliminate every food containing carbohydrates.


I need to understand what I’m eating and how it fits into the rest of my meal.


That’s a very different mindset from:


CARBS! RUN!


Because I tried thinking about food that way.

It’s exhausting.

I’d rather learn.


Chickpeas and Black Beans Have Jobs, Too


Chickpeas are great in salads because they add more substance than vegetables alone.


Black beans can work in salads, bowls, soups, skillets, and all sorts of meals.


Pinto beans can join the rotation.


Butter beans already have tenure.


The point isn’t that one bean is magical.


It’s that beans can be a useful tool when I’m trying to build meals with fiber, protein, texture, and staying power.


The Bean Checklist


So now, instead of seeing beans and thinking either:


HEALTH FOOD! EAT ALL YOU WANT!


or


CARBOHYDRATES! ABORT MISSION!


I’m trying to ask better questions.


What’s the serving size?

How many carbohydrates are in that serving?

How much fiber?

How much protein?

What else am I eating with it?

Am I adding beans to a meal with chicken and vegetables?

Or have I somehow filled a mixing bowl with butter beans and declared it a reasonable Tuesday lunch?


Context matters.


Beans Have Officially Been Cleared for Duty


So yes. Beans contain carbohydrates. And yes, I’m still eating them. Because I’m learning that managing blood sugar isn’t necessarily about finding foods with absolutely zero carbohydrates.


It’s about understanding the foods I’m eating, paying attention to portions, and putting together meals that work better for my body.


Beans bring carbohydrates, but they also show up carrying fiber, protein, nutrients, texture, and enough substance to help make a meal feel like a meal.


They’re complicated little things.


But aren’t we all?


So chickpeas, black beans, pinto beans, and my beloved butter beans can remain in the pantry.


They’ve passed the background check.


Just don’t tell them about the International Butter Bean Festival.


I haven’t completely ruled that out.

Comments

Popular Posts