Walking 10 minutes counts

Why Walking for 10 Minutes Counts


For years, when I thought about exercise, my brain pictured Exercise. You know. Capital E. Put on workout clothes. Find the shoes. Turn on an exercise video. Commit the next 30 minutes of your life to a cheerful person on the television who seems entirely too happy about lunges.


Or go to a gym. There should probably be sweating. Possibly equipment. And if I wasn’t prepared to do all of that? Well, why bother?


Turns out, that was a pretty lousy way of looking at movement. Because lately I’ve been walking for 10 minutes at a time. Sometimes 15. Sometimes only 5.


And apparently my body does not throw those minutes away because they weren’t accompanied by Lycra and inspirational music.


They count.


The 10-Minute Experiment


When I decided I needed to start moving more, I knew myself well enough not to announce: “Starting tomorrow, I shall exercise for one hour every day!”


That woman would have lasted approximately until tomorrow. Instead, I started walking for 10 minutes. That’s it. I walk around my house. Sometimes I walk after I eat.


And something funny happened. Ten minutes didn’t feel overwhelming. So I did it again. Then one day, after walking for 10 minutes, I thought: "I could probably do another five.”


Excuse me?


Who said that?


Apparently it was me.

And Then I Learned Something Interesting


Those little walks aren’t just consolation-prize exercise.


Movement helps your muscles use glucose for energy, and walking after eating can help reduce the rise in blood glucose after a meal. Research has even found benefits from breaking activity into short bouts rather than assuming exercise only “counts” when it’s done in one long session.


That got my attention. Because a short walk after a meal? I can do that. I may not be ready to enthusiastically launch myself into a 30-minute exercise video.


But ten minutes? Ten minutes and I can negotiate.


Unfortunately, The Cheeks Have Opinions


This brings us to an important part of my new exercise program.


My butt cheeks. Or, as they shall henceforth be known:


The Cheeks.


The Cheeks were accustomed to a certain lifestyle. They were comfortable. They were peaceful. They had no reason to believe upper management was considering organizational changes.


Then I started walking. Ten minutes in the morning.


THE CHEEKS: Excuse us?


Ten minutes later in the day.


THE CHEEKS: We already did this.


A little walk after eating.


THE CHEEKS: This appears to be a hostile work environment.


And then came the truly disturbing development. Sometimes I voluntarily walk an extra five minutes.


The Cheeks have retained counsel.


Ten Minutes Has a Secret


Here’s what I’m discovering: The magic of 10 minutes isn’t that 10 is some perfect number. It’s that 10 minutes feels doable to me. I don’t have to psych myself up for it. I don’t need special equipment. I don’t need to drive anywhere. I don’t have to promise myself I’ll suddenly become someone who loves working out. I just have to walk for 10 minutes.


And those little chunks can add up surprisingly fast.


Ten minutes in the morning. Ten minutes later in the day. Five minutes after a meal. Another ten later. Suddenly I’ve moved for 35 minutes that day without ever having to face one intimidating 35-minute workout.


My brain sees a completely different assignment.


Thirty-five minutes of exercise: Absolutely not.


Walk for ten minutes: Fine.


Apparently my brain is easily tricked. I’m choosing not to tell it.


Start Where You Actually Are


I still have exercise videos. They’re 20 or 30 minutes long. Maybe I’ll go back to them eventually. Right now? I’m not motivated to do them. And instead of using that as evidence that I’m “bad at exercise,” I’m doing something different.


I’m doing what I will actually do.


That’s becoming an important lesson for me—not just with walking, but with changing how I eat and cook, too. The theoretically perfect plan that I won’t follow isn’t particularly useful. The imperfect little thing I can repeat? That can become something.


So if you’re sitting there thinking you really ought to exercise but the idea of a workout makes you want to suddenly remember some very urgent laundry…


Try 10 minutes.


Walk down the street.Walk around your house. Put on music and walk in place. And if 10 sounds like too much today? Try five.


Five counts, too.


You don’t have to become an Exercise Person before you’re allowed to move your body. You can just start moving. One little walk at a time.



A Note From The Cheeks


We were not consulted in the preparation of this article.

We oppose additional walking.

We particularly oppose the phrase “another five minutes.”

We have also heard disturbing rumors regarding something called “squats.”

Our attorneys have advised us not to comment further.


🍑


Objection overruled. 😂


Health note: Walking and other physical activity can affect blood glucose, but everyone’s health situation is different. If you take medications that affect blood sugar or have medical conditions that affect your ability to exercise safely, talk with your healthcare professional about what kind and amount of activity is appropriate for you.

Comments

Popular Posts